17 April 2021

Historic English Lutheran Church (former Ichiban Sushi) Slated for Demo, 336 S 400 E

English Lutheran church in 2018 when it was Ichiban Sushi Restaurant, 336 S 400 East.  From Marriott Library.

This historic church has a demolition permit into SLC for review.

The church at 336 S 400 East was built for the English Evangelical Church of the Holy Trinity, commonly known in SLC as the English Lutheran church. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, there were 4 Lutheran churches in SLC: Swedish, English, Danish, and German.

Plans were made to build a church for the small congregation in 1890, land was purchased in 1892, the first cornerstone laid in 1893, and church was dedicated in 1894. The church was built entirely by donations, primarily from women, and primarily from people in the Eastern U.S.

The church originally featured 10 stained glass windows, the interior was finished in cedar, the pulpit furniture made of oak, and pews were attached to the walls. The Reverend’s quarters in the rear of the church.

The English Lutheran congregations was always small, and they never were able to attain financial independence. In 1912 the English Lutheran church disbanded and was absorbed by the St John’s Evangelical Lutheran church in SLC which held bilingual services in German and English. This congregation still has its 1937 church building at 1030 S 500 East.

In 1913 the Reorganized LDS church (Josephites) purchased the church and used it until the mid-1960s, they relocated to a new building in 1967 at 2747 E 3640 S.

In 1967, the old church was renovated for adaptive reuse as an Italian restaurant. The entrance porch was added, the Reverend’s living quarters were transformed into a kitchen, the pews became benches around tables, the choir loft became a waiting area, and the baptismal font became a fountain for which the restaurant was named. Ristorante Della Fontana occupied the church between 1967-1998.

In 1998 Ichiban sushi moved into the church, relocating from their Park City location. Ichiban is notable for chef Peggi Whiting, the first woman allowed to study sushi preparation under the direction of Master Inou. Whiting added a sushi bar and other Asian accents but largely kept the church intact. Ichiban closed Oct 2017.

The old church and the house just to the north will demolished and will be replaced with 60 housing units named TAG 324 L’Oriol Plaza Condos.

Interior 2017, from foursquare

Interior stained glass, from yellowbot

Exterior stained glass, 2021

Exterior side stained glass windows, 2020

Exterior side stained glass windows, 2020

Exterior side stained glass windows, 2020

Interior stained glass 2017, from Yelp

Stained glass windows on south side have been removed, 2021

As the Josephite church, ca 1920s, from Marriott Library

No comments:

Post a Comment