Today in History, August 15 1909, the Cathedral of the Madeline (known then as St. Mary’s Cathedral) was dedicated in Salt Lake City. Construction was begun in 1900 and the name was formally changed to Madeline in 1916 (after the French spelling). To this day, it is the only Catholic cathedral in the nation to be named for Mary Magdalene. The cathedral is located at 331 E. South Temple. Image from the Salt Lake Tribune, Aug 15 1909, p2.
|Exterior view of St. Mary's cathedral and picture of |
Bishop Lawrence Scanian, who has been so closely
identified with the edifice. From Salt Lake Tribune, Aug 15 1909